Volume 111 February 2000


Feb 12-13 Sat-Sun Local climbing B. Niesen
Feb 14 Mon Meeting (radios-Finco) Finco-Roseman-D. Burge
Feb 18-21 Fri-Mon Langley Hinman
Feb 19-21 Sat-Mon Panamint Range traverse Schafhauser
Feb 20-24 Sun-Thu Pear Lake Hut Hueber
Feb 26 Sat Avalanche workshop with John Moynier Runkle
Feb 29 Tue First Aid Topic A Schafhauser
Mar 3-5 Fri-Sun Tracking & search recertification MRA
Mar 7 Tue First Aid Topic A Schafhauser
Mar 11-12 Sat-Sun Desert peak Finco
Mar 13 Mon Meeting (stretcher knots-Runkle) Hinman-Rudy-T. Mitchell
Mar 14 Tue First Aid Topic A Schafhauser
Mar 17-19 Fri-Sun Charleston Roseman
Mar 22 Wed Stretcher hut night A. Mitchell
Mar 25 Sat Winter stretcher practice A. Mitchell
Mar 26 Sun Climbing at Owens Ridge Runkle
Mar 28 Tue First Aid Topic A Schafhauser
Mar 31-Apr 2 Fri-Sun Muir Rockwell
Apr 7-8 Fri-Sat Mock search Finco

SUNDAY ROCK CLIMBING coordinated by W. Runkle

CLMRG is funded by United Way of Indian Wells Valley.


Tom Sakai

99-10 17 Oct 99 Search Shaver Lake Andrew Mitchell
This was the second call we had received to go on this search. The report said that on Wednesday night, 8 September, two men had camped at Sportsman Lake, smoking pot and drinking rum, when they had an altercation. The report stated that Paul Matthew Head had fallen into the lake at the 9500-foot level. He was barefoot and wearing only boxer shorts.
We were asked to report to the Dinky Creek Ranger Station on Thursday, 16 September. We left the hut at 2100 and arrived at the ranger station at 0245. We signed in at 0600. At 0800, we were asked to prepare to spend the night in the field, and at 0900, we were given our assignment--to search around Chinquapin Lakes, where bare footprints, believed to be Paul's, had been found. Our field team leader was Deputy Steve Meunier, of the Fresno County Sheriff's Office (FCSO). Bryan Selby, CARDA, and his dog Murphy were with us. All members of our team were flown into the area and fielded by 1040. We searched above and below the lakes and found a ski pole, gum (which was left by searchers), and an old towel.
While we were having lunch, Al Green looked at the bare footprints and found one leading downstream from Chinquapin Lakes in a southwest direction. After lunch, we searched below the lakes and found only footprints from the other searchers. We returned to Chinquapin Lakes to spend the night. Dinner was flown in to us. By 2000, we were all asleep.
The next morning, we awoke at 0630 and were searching by 0800. We searched the area northwest above the lakes and did not find any evidence that Paul was there. On the returning line search back to Chinquapin Lakes, I missed the shelf the lake was on and ended up about 1/2 mile below the lake. We left Chinquapin Lakes at 1400.
The walk to Spike Camp took an hour. The jeep ride back to base camp took two hours. The drivers were meticulous on the route they picked. One of them was 76! We arrived back at base at 1730. We had dinner and left for home. We arrived at the hut at 2330.
The altercation between the two men on 8 September that we had been told about had not happened. Both men had been drinking rum and smoking pot. Paul's friend was awakened by Paul's yelling. The friend was scared, left the tent, and walked about 75 yards away. Paul started to throw things out of the tent and then left. A little later, the friend went down to the tent and, too scared to spend the night there, picked up his sleeping bag and spent the night about 75 yards away. In the morning, he went to the tent and saw that Paul had not returned. He hiked out and reported the incident. Paul had not fallen into the lake.
Participating members were Andrew Mitchell (Leader), Al Green, Bud Gates, Janet Westbrook (Coordinator), and Terry Mitchell (Telephoner).
Lessons learned:
1. On Thursday morning, there was a meeting for team leaders. I went and was told, "This is for team leaders only." A Fresno County deputy accompanied me out of the meeting. It turns out that a "team leader" is a Fresno County deputy who is in charge of a field team.
2. When riding in a jeep on a jeep road, be sure to put your pack into a large plastic bag to keep it from getting dirty. Our packs were loaded on a rack on the back of the jeep.
3. Base camp wanted coordinates in latitude and longitude.
4. When giving coordinates to base, be sure to write them down or enter them into the GPS unit. One team gave the wrong position of a hat they had found, and they had to return to the location to give base the correct position.
5. Have the procedures to change the radio frequencies in your notebook.

Tom Sakai

Summary of operations
Rescues: 0; Searches: 8; Alerts: 2; Recoveries: 0; Transits: 0; Incidents: 1; Mobilizations: 0
Total: 11
Operations by month
Jan: 2; Feb: 1; Mar: 0; Apr: 0; May: 0; Jun: 1; Jul: 1; Aug 2; Sept: 3; Oct: 1; Nov: 0; Dec: 0
Requesting agencies
Kern County: 2; Inyo County: 1; Riverside County: 2; Mono Country: 1;
Fresno County: 2; Madera County: 1; Yosemite National Park: 1
OK: 4; Injured: 2; Not Found: 5*; Dead: 1; Total: 12
*Four of the subjects were found dead some time after the initial searches.
CLMRG data
Total hours: 1960; NAWC excused hours: 0;
Total vehicle miles: 6866; Average number of members per operation: 8.82


Public Education Committee
Terry Mitchell
Donations received through the Combined Federal Campaign for calendar year 1999:
Catherine M. Ames Dale J. Diede Thomas M. Hire Larry M. Muncy
Paul Amundson Belmont Frisbee Linda Homer Charles T. Reeves
Robyn J. Anders Goro Fujuwara Jack L. Ingle Carey Schwartz
Jose A. Becker Kay Furnish Peter J. Lesniak Alan D. Turner
Gregory Born Audrey P. Gresham Joseph A. Lyle George J. Wiederhold
Lloyd R. Crabtree Dale E. Haan Philip J. Miller Ed Winchester
Zane Crapo Carolyn L. Hiatt Earl Mullis III

MRA Liaison
Werner Hueber
As the Group's representative for the Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) and the California Region of the MRA (CRMRA), I had the dubious pleasure to go to lots of meetings. Fortunately, I was able to find members of other teams who were interested in combining these sometimes-not-too-exciting meetings with some fun climbing.

CRMRA Meetings
There are three meetings per year. The first was in January in San Francisco, which Linda Finco attended. The most interesting part of the discussion was about the snow and ice recertification. Each MRA team must pass a test to be recertified. Initially, the testing was to held in the San Jacinto Mountains, but logistic problems and the lack of snow made it necessary to move the recertification to Big Pine and the Glacier Lodge area.
The second California Region meeting was held in Bishop and hosted by the Inyo team. The snow and ice recertification was briefly discussed. Every team passed and was reaccredited as an MRA team for snow and ice. The best part was that the meeting lasted less than two hours, and the bouldering with Greg Corliss from Inyo and Chuck Chambers from Los Padres at Happy Boulders was fun.
Linda Finco attended the third meeting at Joshua Tree. The upcoming recertification for Search was discussed. The Malibu team will host it at the Malibu Creek Park in March 2000.

MRA Winter Conference
This conference was held in San Diego, and Linda and I attended. Linda is the chairperson for the MRA Statistics Committee, and I am also the MRA Representative on the committee for the International Technical Rescue Symposium (ITRS) and the chairperson of the MRA Grant Committee. Most of the discussions at this meeting were about changes to policies and bylaws. It was also agreed that MRA may give the mailing list to corporate sponsors at the discretion of MRA officers.
I was glad that funding for the MRA grant was approved and for the support for MRA speakers and myself to travel to the ITRS in Fort Collins, CO.
After the meeting, Bill Cotton from the Larimer County team in Colorado, Will Hurst from the Bay Area Mountain Rescue Unit, and I went to Joshua Tree and climbed a few easy pitches after the rain stopped.

MRA Spring Conference
This conference was held on Mt. Lemon, near Tucson, Arizona, on 17-20 June and hosted by the Southern Arizona Rescue Association. Linda Finco and I attended this conference--Linda as the chairperson for Mission Statistics and I as the CLMRG delegate, the MRA grant chairperson, and the chairperson for the International Technical Rescue Symposium Liaison. On Friday and Saturday, the following topics were presented:
Critical Incident Stress Management
Exertional Heat Illness
High Altitude Mountain Sickness
Body Decomposition and Forensics
Hypothermia and Frostbite
Patient Packaging and Transport for Cave Rescue
Injured Skier Nordic Packaging
Treatment of the Asthmatic Hiker with Limited Equipment
Helicopter Display with Scenario
The presentations were excellent refresher courses!
The High Angle Patient Care and Packaging Workshop that followed the lectures consisted of three scenarios on a rock near the Girl Scout Camp, the location of the conference. One was a near-vertical scenario, very similar to one of our stretcher practices except that they used a dummy that they did not put into a stretcher on the wall but just lowered to a ledge. There, it was packaged into a stretcher and raised. The other two scenarios were similar but at a lower angle. The members of the teams were from various MRA teams. The "Tandem Prusik Religion" is well established! Every team I could observe used it. Prusiks were also used for the raising.
The helicopter demonstration was very impressive. A helicopter from the Department of Public Safety (the Arizona version of the California Highway Patrol) hovered over the lodge porch just above the trees, and an EMT rappelled down. Then, a stretcher with an attendant was picked up with a long line.
The business meeting was held on Sunday morning. Tom Frazier from Idaho was elected as treasurer to replace John Inskeep, who retired from Sierra Madre and the MRA. Monte Bell from San Diego was elected as member-at-large.
Fifteen proposals for revisions to the policies and bylaws were discussed at great length.
The hosting MRA team, the Southern Arizona Rescue Association (SARA), did an excellent job of organizing and supporting the conference. The members were very friendly and came up with an incredible amount of volunteer hours.
On Sunday afternoon and Monday, I climbed Baboquivari, a 7800-foot desert peak south of Tucson. There were nine of us--members of the SARA, Portland, Larimer County, and Allegheny teams. It was a three-pitch lower class five climb, lots of fun with excellent camaraderie.

International Technical Rescue Symposium
In November, I attended the International Technical Rescue Symposium, which brings together a wide variety of people involved in rescue. The topics of the symposium were mostly mountain rescue related, and the speakers were excellent. So were the facilities and the accommodations. There were more than 20 speakers, and nearly half of them were MRA members.
One of the most interesting papers was Root Cause Analysis. An In-Depth Look at a Near Miss in Rescue, by Ken Phillips from the Grand Canyon Park Service SAR team. I thought maybe we can use this type of analysis to evaluate one of our not-so-successful operations.
Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is used in industry to identify organizational failures that lead to accidents or near misses. Using Boolean logic, an event model can be constructed to analyze "correctable opportunities." RCA provides a tool for SAR personnel to objectively review an "unwanted event" and confidently achieve change. This process can be used to make changes that will prevent a reoccurrence of an unwanted event. The premise in RCA is what can be learned, not whom can be blamed. Ken described this process for a helicopter rescue near miss incident.

Technical Rescue Basics Course
On two weekends in July and August, I attended the Technical Rescue Basics Course taught by instructors from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, Volunteer Forces. Every member of the San Bernardino County SAR teams who wants to perform technical rescues must attend this course. It was held at the Grace Valley Ranch in the San Bernardino Mountains and consisted of over 45 hours of class room instruction and hands-on practices with a very realistic mock rescue on the last day. I thought the course was excellent--very intense and well structured with well prepared and knowledgeable instructors mostly from the Caving Team and West Valley MRA team. What the instructors taught is based on the technical rescue courses held by Mauthner from Canada and Thorne from Sedona, two of the most respected instructors in North America. I learned a lot, and it was fun! I highly recommend this course for MRA members who are interested in technical rescue. Based on what I learned and practiced, I made several recommendations for our operations leaders and Technical members to evaluate for our use.

MRA Events in 2000
The CRMRA meetings will be in Santa Barbara in January, in the San Bernardino Mountains in May, and in Malibu in September.
The recertification for Search will be in March in the Malibu Creek State Park.
The CRMRA Seminar will be hosted by the West Valley team in May in the San Bernardino Mountains.
The national MRA meetings will be in Las Vegas in January and in Nordegg, Alberta, Canada.
The International Technical Rescue Symposium will be in Tucson, AZ in November.

Walter Runkle
For the calendar year 1999, CLMRG members participated in more than 22 scheduled training events totaling over 97 hours. This does not include First Aid and CPR classes, which are covered in another report. This training was done on weeknights, weekends, as part of regularly scheduled trips, and before the monthly meetings. Training was taught both by qualified members of the CLMRG and by paid experts outside the Group, such as John Moynier for his avalanche class. Training was done strictly as a group activity and in conjunction with other Search and Rescue organizations, such as the Kern County Mounted Search and Rescue. Training included but was not limited to the following:
Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) lecture and practice (3 hr)
Radio Operation and Programming (1 hr)
Avalanche Lectures, Movie, Test (3 hr)
Avalanche Transceiver Practice (9 hr)
Ice Ax Practice (4 hr)
Snow Skills ­ Winter Stretcher Lowering (2 hr)
Team Winter Rescue Recertification - MRA requirement (12 hr)
Tracking (8 hr)
Search Seminar with Kern County Mounted (12 hr)
Night Sign Cutting (2 hr)
Map and Compass lecture (1 hr)
Global Positioning System practice (1 hr)
Navigation and Map Coordinates lecture (3 hr)
Rock Stretcher Lowering Lectures (3 hr)
Stretcher Rigging and Raising/Lowering (15 hr)
Knots for climbing (1 hr)
Technical Rock skills - Self Rescue (5 hr)
Technical Rock skills ­ Aid Climbing (5 hr)
Belay Practice (4 hr)
First Aid ­ Vacuum Splint Demo (1 hr)
First Aid ­ Reading Vitals (1 hr)
Role of the QC Lecture (1 hr)
In addition, each member of the Technical, Rescue, and Support categories is required to climb, at a minimum, three mountains and to make one overnight mountaineering trip every year. As a result, members climbed over 37 different desert and Sierra peaks and one peak in Mexico (Picacho del Diablo). Members also went on numerous technical rock climbing trips and climbed routes of various difficulties.

Mike Myers

I want to thank all of you who gave so much of yourselves, in both time and monetary donations, to CLMRG in 1999. Last year was a year of change for CLMRG. We are moving rapidly into an electronic age that has impacts even on mountain rescue organizations such as ours. This past year, thanks to the very generous gifts by our supporters, we were able to acquire a laptop computer with mapping software and a printer. This represents a major change for our organization.
We used this computer during a recent Emergency Locator Transponder (ELT) practice searching for a downed aircraft. What used to require lots of people, a map, charting table, dividers, rulers, grease pencils, radios, and compass could be done easily by two people in base and two teams in the field. In base, one person plotted positions and bearings electronically on the computer while the other monitored communications. Each field team took and recorded bearings from GPS marked positions. When the radios couldn't get through, the teams used cellular phones to get the position and bearing data back to base to be plotted on the computer map. Let's see what next year brings.

We have our own web page,, which is kept up to date by Janet Westbrook. We list everything that makes CLMRG tick on this site. This is quickly turning into a great way to share information with other rescue teams and the general public all over the country, if not the entire world.
We set out this past year to update our Group Training Manual and to get it posted on our web page. We managed to get about half of the manual completed. The completed chapters are now posted on our web site, and we're finding many other teams are downloading these chapters and modifying them for their own use. Again, it's a low cost method of sharing our manual and our expertise with other teams as well as with our own members and supporters. So far, we have completed the following chapters and have them posted for everyone to see:
Chapter 1. Standard Operating Procedures, Training Requirements, Operations Procedures
Chapter 2. CLMRG Bylaws
Chapter 3. Qualifications and Personal Equipment Requirements
Chapter 4. Technical Rescue Equipment and Techniques
One of our goals for 2000 is to complete the updates and re-writes of the remaining chapters and get them posted as well. There's a lot of work left to be done, but we're committed to achieving this goal this year.
Regardless of how far we get in this electronic age, our Qualifications Committee is committed to ensuring that every CLMRG field team member maintains a high level of proficiency in all basic through advanced mountaineering skills. Computers, GPS receivers, cell phones, etc., are all fantastic tools and a tremendous aid, but they don't work well in cold wet environments, and they won't bring an injured climber down out of the mountains.

Bob Rockwell

Owens Peak Luncheon, Sunday, 28 November 1999
Thirty-four people and two dogs started up from the parking area at various times between 0800 and 0900. It was a beautiful day for this 3300-foot elevation gain, 2.5- to 3-mile trip. We were prepared for a fine mountain-top lunch with
ice, block and crushed, 80 pounds;
steaks, top sirloin, 20 pounds;
Mojave Red, from Indian Wells Brewing Company, 20-liter keg;
tortilla chips, 2 large bags;
wine, white zinfandel, 1 bottle;
soft drinks, 6 liters;
salad, from Indian Wells Lodge, 20 pounds;
baked beans, 2 large cans;
cut corn, 4 cans;
sweet peas, 4 cans;
pickled beets, 3 cans;
cognac, from Kazakhstan, 1 bottle; and
tablecloth, skewers, utensils, and various supplies and condiments.
The total weight was about 240 pounds. Fortunately, Tom Roseman, Tom Sakai, and
I had carried the ice up yesterday afternoon, signing the summit register as "The Icemen Cometh."
Today, Tom Roseman, Walter Runkle, Mike Myers, and Eric Toler traded off lugging the keg up. The keg itself was 51 pounds, but the insulation and pack brought it to an even 60 pounds. Several others volunteered to help, but the tigers would have none of it.
The remaining 100 pounds were packaged in 3- to 5-pound bags so everyone else could share in the effort.
Shortly after noon, everyone had arrived. We met "Dave," a Berkeley resident visiting Ridgecrest. He had climbed the peak hoping for an afternoon of peace and solitude. He graciously agreed to operate our cameras for group summit shots. It was quite a sight, with
20 cameras in a pile in front of him!
The ice had not melted a bit overnight, and the keg was quickly brought to a fine temperature. Fortunately, we had remembered to bring along the tap! Now, a "keg of beer" sounds like a lot, but it was a small keg amounting to about 20 ounces for each beer drinker. We built a nice fire and began heating the vegetables and cooking the steaks.
The weather was perfect with no wind and the temperature in the mid-60s. The view from the summit was pretty much its usual fine self, but clouds to the north obscured most of the Sierra. Off to the west, we could see at least three forest fires burning.
Leaving around 1500, we took the shortcut down through the Rescue 911 staging area and past the Indian pictograph site. By sunset (1645), everyone had made it back to the cars.
Back in Ridgecrest, a few of the wives had used the afternoon to play some bridge. Just after dark, they could see car headlights high in Indian Wells Canyon and so knew we would be home soon.
Thirty-four people may be a record for one group on Owens Peak. Certainly, no other group has had such a fine time! After the climb, I updated my list of climbing companions over the years. It was heartening that of the top nine names on my list, only Carl Heller (died in 1984) and Lee Lucas (now living in Oregon) were not at this party.

CLMRG members Guests
Karen Botham Ali Aminian (Newbury Park)
Dennis Burge Anna Ferguson (Ridgecrest)
David Doerr Bob Joy (Ridgecrest)
Bill Ferguson Helen Huntley (Ridgecrest)
Al Green Jane Koski and "Stella" (Oakland)
Daryl Hinman Ralph Lachenmaier (Ridgecrest)
Bob Huey Bahram Manahedgi (Los Angeles)
Andrew Mitchell Terry Millett (Ridgecrest)
Mike Myers Steven Price (Ridgecrest)
Barry Niesen Larry Riendeau (Ridgecrest)
Gina Niesen Birk Roseman and "Tunnel" (Ridgecrest)
Elaine Riendeau John Runkle (Ridgecrest)
Bob Rockwell R.J. Secor (Pasadena)
Tom Roseman Sigrid Sexton (Huntington Beach)
Walter Runkle Tom Sexton (Huntington Beach)
Tom Sakai Bill Underwood (Ridgecrest)
Ellen Schafhauser
Eric Toler
Editor: Guest Helen Huntley, a reporter for The Daily Independent, wrote a front page story about this event for the 5 December 1999 issue. Liz Babcock, a reporter for The News Review, also wrote about the party. The party is memorialized in this photograph.


Editor: From The Daily Independent of 26 September 1999.
Forty years ago
Oct. 1, 1959 ­ Bob Lee, of Lee's Strength and Health Center in Ridgecrest, made the run from Whitney Portals to the top of Mt. Whitney and back last week in 4 hours and 56_ minutes, breaking his own 1957 record by 2 hours, 11 minutes, and 15 seconds.
Lee's latest record is an all-time low for this run of approximately 26 miles of grueling mountain trail. He was timed by Elder Emmett Watts, pastor of the Ridgecrest Seventh-Day Adventist Church, and Ed Wagner, watchmaker at the Ship's Bell Jewelers.
For timing purposes on this run, the two men used an aircraft elapsed-time clock and four stop watches. The stop watches were tested continuously for two weeks before the run, and the most erratic one was off by only 5 seconds in a 24-hour period.
The run began and ended at the registry box at Whitney Portals with Lee signing the registry box on top of the mountain. By the time he reached the starting point again, several other witnesses were present to see him complete the run.
Previous to 1956 when Lee made his first run in a period of 8 hours and 8 minutes, the record had stood at 8 hours and 25 minutes since about 1951. In 1957, Lee made a record of
7 hours, 7 minutes, and 45 seconds for the climb and return. In 1958, when the snow was deep, Don Gardner of Solvang turned in a report of an unwitnessed run in 6 hours and 55 minutes. On checking with him, it was found that he cut out all the 97 main switchbacks by sliding to the trail below on the snow.
Gardner's report created much interest. In 1959, several attempts were made to better his record, but there was no snow to shorten the trip, and the best time recorded was 5 hours and 12_ minutes by Allen C. Robinson of Garden Grove. Accompanying Robinson was Dick Lyon of Glendale, who made the round trip in 5 hours and 37 minutes. Both young men are students at Stanford University. They spent most of the summer in the Sierra getting used to the altitude before attempting the race.
Lee's new record is the result of the last assault he intends to make on the mountain. Retired now, he expects to see his record broken next season. He bases his opinion on the fact that as far back as 1947, the American walking record for 25 miles stood at 4 hours and 3_ minutes, and while Mt. Whitney is far from a flat track, he believes that a man can run it in
4_ hours if he wants to badly enough.
The new record compares favorably with the Pike's Peak record of 4 hours and 35 minutes. The Pike's Peak run is about the same distance, but the trail is smoother and wider.

Editor: And here are some further words from Bob Rockwell.
More than 40 years ago, on Friday, 1 October 1959, Bob Lee broke the 5-hour barrier for the Mt. Whitney round trip via the trail. He had shattered his previous record by more than 2 hours! (As I recall, the following year a guy from Colorado bettered Bob's time.)
For you newcomers, Bob and Jerry Lee ran "Lee's Strength and Health Center," a weight lifting and health food place and seller of climbing and backpacking gear, that was our primary source way back when. It's now Todd's Outdoor Supply. By the way, Jerry Lee held the women's record, and last I heard, she still does.


President Mike Myers 375-6801
Vice-president Bob Rockwell 375-2532
Secretary Eric Toler 446-6100
Treasurer Steve Florian 371-3996
MRA Representative Werner Hueber 375-2165


Mike Myers


T. Mitchell (Chair),C. Burge, Schmierer, Botham. B. Rockwell


Green (Chair)Myers, Sakai


Huey (Chair), Botham, Doerr, Green, B Niesen

D. Burge

Schafhauser (Chair), Ferguson, Breitenstein, Westbrook, G. Niesen, B. Rudy,

Runkle (Chair), Hinman, Roseman




Castro (Editor), Botham, S Rockwell

Hueber (Chair), DeRuiter, Doerr (Quartermaster), Green, HJuey, Renta, Riendeau

Rockwell (chair), Roseman, Sakai



Public Education Terry Mitchell 375-0168
Training Walter Runkle 377-5931
Equipment Werner Hueber 375-3073
First Aid Ellen Schafhauser 375-4043
Qualifications Tom Roseman 375-1030
Bob Rockwell 375-2532
Tom Sakai 375-7404
Sheriff's Office Al Green 375-9189
ASTM Representative Dennis Burge 375-7967
Emergency Services Linda Finco 375-7951
Summer Class Bob Huey 375-0168
Stores Carol Burge 446-7038
The Talus Pile Loren Castro 375-3279

Web Page Janet Westbrook 375-8371


We welcomed Karen Botham, William Rudy, and Jeanette Rudy as new members in 1999. We said farewell to Chuck Creusere, Cindy Goettig, Betty Meng, Dianne Rindt, Kevin McCormick, Jerry Kong, John O'Conner, and Chris Antonsen.


Check our web page at

All telephone numbers in The Talus Pile are area code 760 unless noted otherwise.


He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead.
--Albert Einstein